Thursday, March 6, 2008

Todos Van al Oriente Para Trabajar










The infrastructure in Ecuador is chaotic. The roads, the water systems, the electrical systems, even phones and the internet, they all seem to be in terrible disrepair. Thus far I have not really had the time I would like to have to be online putting together full posts about my latest research and travel experiences. Soon I will present some thoughts on comparing Patagonia with Amazonía. The development issues are distinct, yet the similarities and the lessons abound. The Amazon is under serious stress, and it only demonstrates that Patagonia is still a remarkably intact region.

What might happen in Patagonia with hidroAysén is hinted at by oil development and unregulated colonization in the Amazon.


Though I have many ideas to share, for now I can only post some photos from my recent trip to the Shiripuno region of the Gran Yasuni, specifically the Territorio Étnico Huaorani.


Suffice it to say that if pictures are worth a thousand words, these current images of the Amazon should speak a great deal of how yes, human kind is wrecking havok on wild South America, even as the beauty still expresses itself wonderfully day after day.


More soon, after I return from our favorite project, la Reserva Biológica Los Cedros. First though some last images from the wild Amazon!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Patagonia Photo Dept.

I am looking for stunning water/scenic photos of the Rio Baker, Rio Pascua or Futaleufu from Chile/Patagonia. I envision a tight shot of just blue water flowing, maybe low shutter speed, beauty shot. It will be used as a 3/4 page (vertical but can crop a horizontal) in our Holiday catalog and web. The extended caption talks about damn threats so I want to capture the free flow feel. If your image is picked up for use, normal editorial rates apply. Please see attached photo guidelines.


Jenning Steger . Patagonia Photo Department
259 West Santa Clara Street . Ventura, CA . 93001 . USA
www.patagonia.com . P 805.667.4690 . F 805.643.2367